Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Science as entertainment, and the plot holes within

I have been busy writing and editing books. Which means I haven't had time to blog. Not that anyone really misses it. I have been meaning to write on science plot holes within movies (Interstellar, Passengers etc.), but have been eyeballs deep in research for my current novel: MeCTen NOVA. Since I write hard science fiction/fantasy I've had to do a bit of shoring up on my quantum mechanics, artificial intelligence, and other related fields.

I  still find time for movie watching, but I find myself in awe of certain issues that crop up in films, and I can't get over how wide the chasm can be.

For example, the movie SUNSHINE: For those who haven't seen this film, it's a very good example of what science fiction can be...right up until the third act. The final act degrades into a horror slasher film, and that's when it jumps the tracks into the land of dumb.

HOWEVER, that's not the issue. The major issue that I have is not the premise that the sun is dying. My issue is with the proposed premise of taking all the fissile matter of Earth, putting it all together, and transporting it by humans to the sun in an attempt to reignite it. Even the most basic understanding of nuclear physics screams "bad idea". Why? Because spontaneous nuclear fusion (the thing that powers atomic bombs and nuclear power plants) occurs when enough nuclear fissionable material accumulates, a reaction will occur. If the reaction is controlled, you can generate enough power to light a city, or destroy it. When it is out of control, you get Chernobyl or Fukushima. A bomb as large as Icarus 2 would cause a meltdown before it was ever loaded onto the spacecraft. Even if they were somehow able to assemble it in space, the radiation would destroy the electronics and kill the crew with lethal radiation levels.

Just one example of some of the articles I have in the pipe.
Hope to see you soon.


No comments: